Shaba National Reserve is part of three adjoining savanna national reserves that lay on either side of the Northern Uaso Nyiro River, 340km North, North East of Nairobi (Samburu, Buffalo Springs and Shaba).
However, the Uaso Nyiro River is the life line that supports a wide variety of game including elephants, buffaloes, cheetah, leopards and lions, as well as game rarely seen elsewhere such as Grevy’s zebra, reticulated giraffe, Somali ostrich and the long necked gerenuk (Somali for ‘camel head’).
Highlights of Shaba National Reserve
- Shaba National Reserve includes the area where Joy Adamson of ‘Born Free’ fame experimented with the release of hand-reared leopards.
- Shaba is also home to the highly endangered Williamson’s Lark
- Referred to as the Hollywood of Africa, Shaba contains such spectacular places and has provided the setting for films such as “Walk with the Lion’ and Survivor III’.
Adventure and Pleasure at the Shaba National Reserve
- Scenic landscape and riverine forest.
- Shaba has 17 permanent springs at which animals congregate during the dry season.
- Shaba is also the home of rare animal species such as the reticulated giraffe, Somalia ostrich, and Grevy’s zebra.
- The Joy Adamson Monument is also found here.
- Camel safaris
- Champagne breakfasts
- Moonlit dinners in the bush or beside the river
- Bird-watching walks and cultural dances.
- Game viewing Nature walks
- Culture emersion- authentic performance by the local community provides a flavor of the nomadic lifestyle
Day 1 : Arrival Nairobi. Days 2 / 4 : Shaba National Reserve. Days 5 / 7 : Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. Days 8 /10 : Masai Mara. Day 11 : Home bound Flight via Nairobi
Journey to Remember - African Landscape & Wild Game Your journey will begin in the cosmopolitan city of Nairobi for the arid Northern Frontier region the Shaba National Reserve. A semi desert with a rugged hilly landscape found at the foot hills of Mt. Kenya, Shaba National Reserve spectacular great rocky kopjes (small hills), a plethora of springs and abundant wildlife.
Laikipia Shaba Masai Mara Honeymoon Masai Mara Laikipia Shaba honeymoon is a journey to magical regions where nature is unspoiled and starkly African wilderness. African honeymoon is beyond imagination a candlelit romantic dinner for two, served in total seclusion, right in the heart of the African wilderness. The night sound of Africa - a barking jackal could be a trumpeting elephant..
Joys Camp - Shaba National Reserve Set at Joy Adamson’s original campsite in Shaba National Reserve is Joy’s Camp. The camp is located in this arid and semi desert with outcropping rugged rocky kopjes (small hills) and many springs that nurture the abundant wildlife.